Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The banana blueberry streusel experiment

          The other day, Mackenzie and I went downtown for lunch. We grabbed drinks at Blue State Coffee, and I couldn't help but drool over the big, blueberry muffins on display. Although we resisted, I was still craving blueberry muffins later, and resolved to make something delicious. We also had a big bunch of bananas that were going bad (Mackenzie prefers green bananas). I searched for recipes, but couldn't find one that combined all of the ingredients I wanted to use. So I did a little experiment, tweaking the Awesome Banana Muffin recipe from Cat Can Cook, adding the streusel topping from Allrecipes.com, and tossing in blueberries. My muffins came out moist and delicious, and were a big hit.


Here's my final recipe:
Banana Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Prep: 30 min Serves: 12

Ingredients:

4 Large bananas mashed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Topping:

1/3 cup sugar (brown may be better, but I only had white)
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

Method:
          Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash bananas and mix with sugar, egg, and oil. In another bowl, mix baking powder, salt, and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients and stir in blueberries. Pour into greased muffin tins. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon for topping. Cut in 1 tbsp butter until mixed and sprinkle over muffins before baking. Bake 20 min.
Yum! I would definately make these again.

Monti, in his new favorite place to cuddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment