Tuesday, February 1, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

                As you can tell, I’ve had the topic of New Year’s Resolutions on my mind a lot lately, and it appears I’m not alone. The last page of my January/February edition of Women’s Health featured statistics on that very subject. One declared that 38 percent of women break resolutions in a month or less. And if this statistic is true, that means by today, February 1, nearly half of all resolution-bearing women have “broken” their goals. But I’m having a problem with the word broken. What does that even mean—to miss a day at the gym or give up entirely? And if we are prone to resolution failure, are we the problem or are we simply aiming too high?

Pic from http://justjudyjudyjudy.com/

                Personally, I think the important thing to remember is that there are 12 months in a year. Okay, so Monti’s leash is starting to collect dust (not really; please no calls to PETA), and the book I started reading for fun over break is still half finished. But I refuse to accept defeat so soon! I mean, come on it’s only February. I have had some successes in my resolutions, and although I could give a laundry list of excuses for why I’ve faltered in some, the most important thing is to keep working towards them. If you resolved to get healthier, one cupcake does not mean you’ve failed or even “broken” your resolution. If you vowed to save money, one new pair of shoes is not the end of the world. My view? Let that guilt nag at you if you’ve veered from the path a little, and work to get back on. Saying a resolution is broken on February 1 is a copout.

No comments:

Post a Comment