Monday, February 14, 2011

Hugs and Kisses




          Although many feel like Valentine's day is a product of capitalism, how can you hate a holiday that celebrates love, flowers, chocolate, and all things pink? Every year, I try to do something crafty and thoughtful for my friends and family. This time I made bookmarks with famous love letters printed on them written by different historical figures--Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Browning, Napoleon Bonaparte, Abagail Adams, Winston Churchill, and Nathaniel Hawthorn. I printed the letters in pretty type on card stock, punched a hole in the top, and tied a ribbon through.


          I also made cut-out cookies of X's, O's and hearts. I frosted them with homemade frosting and topped with X and O sprinkles. The butter cookie recipe is from my mom's Mennonite Cookbook, and has always been a family favorite. The frosting is my mom's recipe and super easy to whip up.

Cut-out sugar cookies
Makes: 4 dozen

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups shortening, butter preferred; 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar; 2 egg yolks; 4 cups flour.

Method: Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and continue to beat. Add sifted flour and stir until well blended into mixture. Roll out on floured board to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out with cookie cutters and decorate with frosting or colored sugar. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown (about 10 minutes).

Frosting
Makes: About enough to frost one cake

Ingredients: 3 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp molk, 3 cups confectioner sugar, 1 tsp vanilla.

Method: Cream butter. Add milk and sugar. Continue adding sugar until frosting is desired consistency. Stir in food coloring if desired.


         Next, I put an X, O, and heart cookie in a cellophane bag (I found cute X and O ones for $1 at Target), and tied the bookmark to the outside. Wallah! I had a great time making these, and will need to look for more excuses to craft little creations. St. Patrick's Day, anyone?

Happy Heart Day and a special shout out to my Valentine, Mackenzie.

Love,
Annie
...And to my other valentine, Monti, who is not happy to be wearing this T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment