Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 Resolutions

                So it’s a few days after New Year’s but I’ve been trying to think of some solid, thoughtful resolutions for 2011. It’s so tempting to go with cookie cutter goals like “go to the gym” or “clean more.” But I don’t think a resolution should be torturous. I know the only way I’m going to stick to something is if I actually want to do it. Quite frankly, I don’t love the gym. Sometimes I get on little kicks and go a lot, but I usually drag my feet. And plus, I don’t view myself as unhealthy; if I’m feeling out of shape, I’ll go for a long run. So that’s out. I don’t feel the need to resolve to get good grades because I drive myself insane doing that anyway (good news, I got a 4.0 this past semester). Cross that off.
                But there are things I enjoy doing and get fulfillment from that I often put off. One is seeing my friends. Often, unless plans fall into my lap I’m not proactive on planning little dates with them. Another thing is reading. Don’t get me wrong, I read a lot; especially during school. But with a pile of assigned reading I forget to read for me. Sometimes I am lucky enough to enjoy what I’m assigned, but it’s frequently dry and tedious, and I miss curling up to a pleasure reading book.
                One resolution I have is for my pup. In the winter, I view walking him as a chore instead of a mode of relaxation and enjoyment. I don’t, however, think it has to be that way. I’d like to set aside at least a half hour or so every few days to bundle up (for the next few months at least) and go at least around the block with Monti. He loves it, and I get a little exercise: See above for lack of gym resolution.
                I am a serial perfectionist, so one resolution this year is to lighten up a bit. I tend to act like it’s the end of the world if one thing doesn’t go the way I planned. A lot of the time, Mackenzie get’s the brunt of my tantrum, so I’m sure he’ll appreciate this resolution to go with the flow.
                 So I believe that makes four resolutions, which is a weird number so I’ll include one more to commit to in 2011. I love my family, and usually see them on the weekends and talk to my mom on the phone while away, but I also have a loving extended family. I get cards from my aunts and grandparents that often go un-replied, an easy 5 minute resolution is to reply to these in snail-mail or email.
So here I am, putting my resolutions in ink (or pixels rather):
1.       Be proactive on making plans with friends.
2.       Make time for pleasure reading.
3.       Take Monti for more walks.
4.       Go with the flow.
5.       Remember family.

Dan, Dee, me and Mackenzie on New Year's Eve
Picture courtesy of Jess
                 So now that I’ve made some thoughtful and manageable resolutions, it’s time to start sticking to them! What are your New Year’s resolutions?

Love,
Annie

1 comment:

  1. Great resolutions Annie. I think I need to hop on the "go with the flow" one myself!

    ReplyDelete